Conventional coffee is often exposed to harmful chemicals, including fertilizers, herbicides, and even pesticides.
This can be damaging to both the environment and your health. Let's explore what could be hiding in your conventional cup of coffee and why you should start your day off right by ditching that conventional coffee for "verified-clean" coffee!
How much coffee do you drink in a year?
I drink around three cups of coffee a day.
So how much do you drink in a year? You can assume that it is around 20 gallons per year for each cup you consume each day. So the next important question is… do you know the quality of the cup of coffee you are drinking?
What is hiding in your conventional cup of coffee?
Your conventional coffee may contain some combination of heavy metals, toxins, molds, and pesticides. Consuming unsafe levels of harmful chemicals and toxins can contribute to short-term health symptoms like fatigue, weakness, and brain fog, but can lead to long-term health consequences like cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, and more. So, whether you are drinking 20 gallons a year or 100 gallons a year, you need to be aware of the impact heavy metals, molds, toxins, and pesticides could have on your health.
Heavy Metals: Conventional coffee may contain traces of metals like copper, arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. Studies have linked exposure to these metals with health problems like cancer, heart disease, and neurological problems.
Molds and Toxins: Conventional coffee also might contain unsafe levels of mold yeast, acrylamide, gluten, and glyphosate. These toxins, known as mycotoxins, can come from mold or fungi on coffee beans. One of the most common mycotoxins is Ochratoxin A (OTA), which is linked to kidney damage. Another mycotoxin, Aflatoxin, has been linked to some types of cancers. Again, these toxins can end up in your cup of coffee if the beans are not properly cleaned and/or roasted.
Pesticides: Pesticides have been linked to various health problems, including cancer, reproductive issues, and endocrine disruption.
What can you do to drink better coffee?
Drink organic-certified or, better yet, "verified-clean" coffee! At Bear Lake Coffee Co., we're proud of our "verified-clean" and amazing-tasting coffee. From the farm to your cup, here is what sets our coffee apart:
- Single-origin: We begin with high altitude, single-origin, hand-picked, specialty grade, and regeneratively grown arabica specialty coffee beans sourced from sustainable farms.
- Verified-Clean: We thoroughly test every batch of coffee for Ochratoxin A, Aflatoxin, Acrylamide, fungus, yeast, and 150-plus different types of pesticides. [click here for Third-Party Lab Report for our Founders' Microlot]
- Storage: Our coffee beans are stored in temperature-controlled warehouses to prevent mold growth.
- Optimal Roast: Our coffee is roasted with love and perfection to a roast level that minimizes harmful compounds while encouraging healthy antioxidant levels.
- Packaging: Finally, our roasted coffee is timely packaged in a compostable, sustainable bag and sealed. This will help ensure that you experience a fresh aroma and taste with every cup.
So, if you're looking for a healthy way to start your day, ditch the conventional commodity coffee for "verified-clean" coffee!